Monday 3 February 2014

Review of Lakeland's Hearts Silicone Icing Mould

Well, I've been lucky enough to be asked to review some more products by the lovely people at Lakeland, so here is the first one, stand by for another couple this week! I have been given the product to try for free, but all views are my own.

So here it is, the Hearts Silicone Icing Mould. I'm a sucker for these silicone moulds, I have quite a few different designs made by different manufacturers, and I use them when teaching some of my own classes, as well as on the cakes I make so I was interested to see how this one would compare.

I'm pleased to say it worked really well. When you first start using silicone moulds like this, you might find that the first one or two you try will stick to the mould. A way to stop this happening, is to use a little smearing of vegetable fat (I use Trex) on the inside of the mould. You could use a dusting of cornflour, or icing sugar, but if you are using a dark coloured icing, you then need to clean it off afterwards. If you do want to paint the hearts you make afterwards though, you will have to go down this route as the vegetable fat will prevent the paste gel sticking, or whatever you are using to paint with.

I tried all the different hearts and found them all easy to use. The one on the middle row at the far right had me flummoxed to begin with, but I had a play and realised you can use this as a feature on a small disc of sugarpaste. Have a look at the photograph below to see what I mean.

 
 You see? The one in the bottom left corner? Cute isn't it?

And here are the cupcakes on a wedding fayre table from last weekend. I'm happy to report they went down very well :)


You can also use them on cookies....


And on cake pops..... (Here is where I would insert a picture of the ones I made, but unfortunately they were eaten before I got chance to photograph them! Take it from me- they work on cake pops too!)

So, all in all, a great product, that I would definitely recommend and will be using myself and in my classes in future. If you'd like to buy one too, you can purchase from Lakeland here .

www.mariesbakehouse.co.uk

www.facebook.com/MariesBakehouse


 

No comments:

Post a Comment